Old May 30th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #37
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
I don't like lowering links because of the lowering of clearance for cornering and lessening of suspension travel.

However having said that; I think they are a great idea for those new riders that need them. For a very simple reason: a new rider is not likely to be testing the limits of their suspension for some time but until the day comes when they begin to test those limits; they'll have had all that time to getting used to handling the bulk & balance of a motorcycle. It's a much easier transition to have to learn to tippy toe on a proper suspension than having to learn to tippy toe from day one!
I agree, that's why we will be pulling the links out soon. They are really great for giving a new rider confidence of flat feet on the ground. But they do have a down side in the loss of cornering clearance. However I don't think the cornering clearance would be any worse than a Rebel would be.

Looking at the chart from @InvisiBill if you put the 2" lowering links in a Pregen it is only 1/2" higher than a Rebel. After the rider gets used to the bike it is back to it's sporty self with the stock links.

@motodancer If you find a nice used Pregen I should have a set of lowering links soon. They were given to us by another forum member. Would be happy to pay it forward to another new rider.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.