View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:03 AM   #20
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostdz View Post
As far as before and after dynos. The shop I had to use for the specific dyno was 3 hours away. So... repeated visits was not something I was excited about. And since I had to cut a hole in the air box and tie the piping. And the only way to install the airbox is from the back. Swapping it back and forth was not a quick and easy process and would take hours, and dyno time is by the hour. So, being able to do a before and after would be pricey and pretty much unnecessary except for comparison
True, but it's the only way to know if you have made improvements or not.

You would have needed to create a baseline with the bike before you started your mods, then bring it back again after it was completed.

If you like it - run it, but even it situations where the factory has designed a full ram-air system (that even runs directly through the steering head) the gains are not outstanding until speeds are close to maximum. Even then, something like 5 additional HP doesn't gain you much (compared to reducing drag).
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote