View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2019, 07:15 AM   #51
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
As far as water, no, TTD does not supply. If you run short stores are nearby. I also bring several gallons and you're free to grab what you like.

Hit the pizza dinner anyway, just for the socialization (unless the group wants to do something different... playing it by ear here).

Re tech: The best reason to hit it the night before is that there's no line and it frees up some extra time in the morning; there is nothing quite like relaxing in the morning with a cup of coffee and watching people scramble. I'll be arriving about the same time you do and will be more than happy to help.

Re heat: Temps will likely be on the warm side and we often get significant humidity here in the Northeast.

Regarding staying cool, we all have our routines but FWIW here's mine (works like a charm):

1) Get a "cool towel." These are special foam towels that hold a lot of water, readily available at Harbor Freight, Lowes', etc. During the day it lives in the cooler, in the ice melt water. Between sessions take it out and drape it around your neck. It WILL keep you cool. I'll pick one up for you if you like (a gift, yours to keep). Let me know.

2) I keep a hat in the cooler too, also soaking in cold water. When I pull in I put it on, fully wet. When it's REALLY hot, first I'll grab an ice cube out of my cooler and rub it over my head until it melts.

3) I wear a balaclava or skull cap when riding. Ditto... it soaks in cold water between sessions and I put it on right before my helmet goes on. Lasts most of the session.

4) Wicking base layers. Long sleeves, so your suit doesn't stick when you try to take it off.

5) Hit the classroom every chance you get. It's got AC, sort of.

6) Don't overdo it. You've got two full days and more than enough track time coming. Consider taking the post-lunch session off to save your energy. Amazing what a little power nap can do for you.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote