View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #25
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Exclamation Rear Wheel/Swing Arm

Let me start by saying sorry, no pics yet. But here goes.

(a) The Suzuki swingarm has an inside width of 228 mm, but has no chain adjusters on the wheel side of the arm.

(b) The PreGen 250 swingarm has an inside width of 233 mm, but has chain adjusters on the inside of the arm. If we allow a couple mm for each chain adjuster, the inside width of the two arms is virtually the same.

(c) As mentioned earlier, the axle sizes are identical.

(d) This is where the no pics thing begins to suck a bit. I put the Suzuki wheel in the PreGen swingarm using the stock Suzuki parts and spacers. I didn't have any spare chain adjusters, so there are a few mm of play that will go away with chain adjusters, and maybe a thin washer. The former owner of the donor bike installed a 160 size tire, so, keeping in mind, the proper 130 size tire will give plenty of clearance. The 160 clears the sprocket, but interferes with the bolt head on the front of the brake torque arm, but no worries, the stupidly too wide 160 is going in the recycle bin. The Pregen brake torque link lines up and bolted to the Suzuki caliper!!! It may need a tweak after all the spacing is figured out, but is close. I will need a new rear brake rotor since the old one is chewed up pretty good. The brake rotor is 240 mm. The stock PreGen rotor is 230 mm. I may explore using the PreGen brake hanger and caliper by turning the replacement Suzuki rotor to 230 mm.

(e) So at this point, for the rear, the last question is sprocket offset, and I have plenty of room to play with it. It should be straight forward to measure the sprocket-to-swingarm spacing on my bike and adjust accordingly. Motorcycle Superstore has some 45 tooth 520 conversion Katana sprockets on sale too.

This is the point in a project where you go "Crap, this is going too good". I am resisting buying tires until I know all will work.

Last futzed with by fast1075; December 14th, 2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added info
fast1075 is offline   Reply With Quote