View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Jrp
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Kawasaki ninja 250

Minnesota

Hello everyone,

I have been reading/surfing these forums for a few weeks now and am amazing at the wealth of knowledge!

I just picked up a 2002 ninja 250 about a week ago and am ready to start wrenching. I also picked up two spare motors for cheap as well.

I will do my best to search the forum for answers to my questions before I post, and look forward to everyone's comments, feedback, and advice!

The current situation I am in is as follows. I purchased my bike from the previous owner who ran it with a quart of oil low. He noticed something was wrong brought it into the shop and they drained the oil to discover metal shavings. The mechanic gave him an estimate of 700 to fix speculating that the motor was burnt, valves, spark plugs etc. but the bike still runs. (No I haven't even tried to start it). I took out the oil filter (or where the filter should have been) to see if I could see what "metal shavings" ment to the mechanic and discovered almost a dust of bronze and silver colored metal as well as some chunks. I'm thinking bearings at this point.

The first spare motor I had I discover has a snapped cam chain (2002 motor)

The second spare motor I have doesn't have compression (according to the po) but appears as if the timing is off. Po thinks its a late 80s motor I haven't ran the vin yet.

I'm seeking advice as to which motor you would rebuild?

None of the motors are seized

I'm looking forward to this project! I bought it because I like to work on engines and am not worried about getting on the road at this point. I'll take pictures as I progress and keep everyone updated, and will start a new thread in the appropriate section.

Hope to hear from everyone soon!
Jrp is offline   Reply With Quote