Old May 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #26
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel View Post
I started riding dirt bikes when I turned 12, and street bikes when I turned 18. ..I am now 36. I will agree that the more experience you gain, the more prepared you are when something happens. However, it is widely understood that it's not if you crash, it's when. I've had three crashes so far on the street, two were all by myself and one involving a car, all of which I got through without injury and not a whole lot of damage to the bike. I have also had a lot of incidents where I came close to crashing, but experience and being aware of what is going on got me through.

CC Cowboy, I sincerely hope your theory holds true for you. Yes, crashing shouldn't happen, but it does.
I've been riding 43 years and I'm 29. I never think about crashing when I think about going for a ride. I always think about crashing when I'm on a ride. I always think about what is around the next corner (road conditions, parked cars, cows in the road). The only way anyone ever crashes is riding over their head (be it road conditions or lack of experience). I always think about other drivers, or riders, trying to take me out and I always think about how to prevent it.

To be asinine about the theory, if you went on a ride and only rode 5 to 10 miles an hour the entire ride, do you think you would crash? Unless some jerk rear ended you for going to slow you would probably have a safe ride (boring but safe). Now apply this to all rides. Most people don't crash from going too slow.

Hopefully this is your last crash. I'll still give you $25 for the bike. I'm talking cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfling View Post
In an ideal world, sure- crashing shouldn't happen. However- gravel, wet leaves, crazy drivers, unexpected anything- that does happen, and crashing is something even insanely experienced riders deal with. I have a friend who's pretty experienced, does track and so on, and had a wipeout due to a *flipflop* in his lane.
My flip-flop! Does he still have it?

Wet leaves, must be after a rain (or during) = ride slower expect wet surfaces. Gravel or dirt roads = know your surrounds (if you don't, ride carefully). Crazy drivers= carry a gun, I mean ride defensively.

Riding a bike is like flying a plane, always look in every direction (including up and down).

If riders think that it is only a matter of time. When that time comes they won't think of how to NOT CRASH but they will think that it's their time.