View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:46 AM   #21
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Joe, what's the truest nature of your post? Looker for fellow riders as partners in crime?

Well, in that case, you've found one right here! Too bad we're so far apart.

One of my reasons for getting the ninja initially was to calm myself down on the street. 25hp is a good number. Plenty enough to get you into trouble, but not too much to get there before you know it.

So, how does one handle an adrenaline addiction if one doesn't want to exercise self-control?

DRivero had a good point! I know you have the ability to slow it down. Why, because I know what it feels like to be at the limit and rather gnaw your right hand off than keep it from twisting that throttle.... :P

My advice, find a few experienced riders in your area, and go hit the twisties. Better yet, hit a track and go nuts. Be ready to pay the bills after the crash. You need a crash. It made me a significantly better rider.

Adrenaline has no longer turned to the goal, but simply a tool to be able to concentrate with, and heighten reactions. Learn to use it to your advantage. If you learn to use it, you can become one of the safest riders out there. Use it to make yourself more aware.

I'm usually speeding. Sometimes by a lot, sometimes by a little, but rarely do I sit at the limit. Here's an argument you might be able to empathize with, let me play devils advocate:

The speed limit is designed for the lowest common denominator, right? Like for the person who is scared to drive, and shouldn't be on the road anyway, right? You're not the average common denominator, you pay attention, you have some skillz, and you have more than enough motivation to go faster. Right.

Use it, count how many people you see driving with cell phones. Try and find the craziest activities people do in their cars on your rides. Spot cops, spot cameras. The way I've worked through my speed-freak is by seeing how much I can stick it to the man without getting into trouble or being a nuisance on the road. If somebody has to brake for any of my above-normal activities on the road, I've failed. I'm a worthless rider. If anybody has to swerve to accommodate me, I've failed. And this doesn't just include your immediate actions.

For instance, if I swerve in front of a car and cause it to use it's brakes, or freak it out, causing it to go 2mph slower, blocking the left lane and therefor screwing traffic up behind me, I've failed.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with driving faster than everybody else. I do see it as a problem when I'm a negative impact on the road.

Oh, and yes, I have crashed. Many times. On and off the track. Maybe that's an indication that I shouldn't be a rider. I guess I'm just stupid.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote