View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:39 AM   #1
luizzeross
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Luiz

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Camshaft Timing Question

Hi! I've just done a valve clearance job on this bike, but I'm having a hard time aligning the camshaft on it's place, for perfect crank/cam timing.

The manual says the notch has to be aligned on the 2T mark, and the outer EX/IN marks on the camshaft should be aligned with the head surface, but it seems impossible to do so. When I first disassembled the whole thing, I noticed it was not as the manual says, 100% perfectly aligned, and also, the previous owner did a camchain replacement at the dealership (which they did a horrible job, they even forgot to put the CCT gasket on it's place, leaking oil at the CCT...).

So, here are the pics of my engine top, for reference.

When the 2T mark is aligned with the notch, this is the closest I can get aligning the camshafts as the manual says so (first two pictures). It's slightly not aligned.

When the 2T mark is a bit off, the camshafts align perfectly (last two pictures).

My doubt is: it should align 100% straight, perfect with the engine head surface, or is it only a reference? My bike has F.I., and I don't know if that changes anything with crank/cam timing.

Before anything, I should say that I googled everywhere and saw some pictures of other bikes aligned, and that this is not my first time doing valves on a bike, I already did it two times on my car and previous bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collage_camcshaft_ninja250_2012.jpg (123.3 KB, 20 views)
luizzeross is offline   Reply With Quote