adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I wonder about physics of converting rear-end powerslide into low-side. If front end has more traction than rear at beginning, how does it lose traction if you keep throttle on? Is it because you're increasing speed and eventually overcome traction-limit of front tyre at same lean-angle? If you increase speed, you also have to add lean-angle to stay on same curve. And that can cause low-side?

Standing up bike will add traction to both front & rear tyres. Then you risk running off road!
I don't see it like that. The front does not have to lose traction in order to have a lowside crash.

Consider the classic "I had to lay it down" lowside... the back end comes around while the front is still pointed in the direction of travel, and the front still has traction. The bike leans more and more until hard parts hit and the rear comes off the ground.

If the rider stays in it as the bike goes down, the rear never regains traction, right? But if the rider chops the throttle, the rear might hook up and there's your highside.

Flat trackers do this intentionally. The rear tire is spinning like crazy, the bike is sideways, but the front is still hooked up. Easy to see how going too far with that could lead to a low side.

(google, google...) Ah, here it is in action. Rider is spinning the rear here, classic flat-track style.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote