View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #22
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

This is why hitting a dirt track and playing sound with sliding and throttle control can be so beneficial (says me that just came back from 4 days at the Texas Tornado Bootcamp!) The little bikes make it super easy to feel what it's like when you slide and chop the throttle (yes I did toss myself over the bars a few times) and also what it's like when you slide the rear and manage to not chop the throttle (yes I saved myself from many more crashes by being able to modulate the throttle. Any practice you can get with Throttle control where you can experience sliding and such is helpful!

I remember when I first started racing, I had several high sides (thankfully I didn't get too hurt) but I had no idea what I was doing wrong. It wasn't until I went to the California Superbike School and Keith made me ride the slide bike did I understand first of all what I was doing wrong (chopping the throttle when the rear slid) and how to resolve it (learn how to avoid the survival reaction and keep the gas on or simply stop rolling on) that I stopped having such horrendous crashes. I clearly remember the first time I was able to avoid a high side after I rode the slide bike. I was coaching a fast student and got on the gas too hard out of turn 5 at laguna Seca and the rear stepped out and I was literally sideways. Instead of chopping the throttle I held it steady and controlled the slide, stood the bike up and kept going. It felt awesome to have overcome previous reactions!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.