View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2022, 11:50 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

You had to have lived it to appreciate the reasoning I guess....
after having dozens of front end slide outs on the dirt and face plants I found that leaving that front brake alone was the best option on dirt or street
I almost had a front end slide out on my 305 many decades ago when riding in heavy rain.... i was using both brakes because I came into the corner way too fast and the front went to the lee ward side about one foot and then stuck
and man that definitely woke me up from then on I've been leary of using the front brake !
but I have always known that a bike can stop 2 times faster than a car if both brakes are used and are used properly so I've kept with the practice of using the front brake on occasion....
but having watched the videos on trail braking I was convinced that I should be using more front brake than I normally do ...so I've been doing that
especially with the ninja as it helps in the corners alot when I squeeze that front brake enough to get the front forks to compress a bit the bike corners like a dream usually I don't even touch the back brake as I am using engine compression as the brake but the RX4 is a cruiser of sorts a get on and enjoy the ride bike ...and it fits that roll great.... I have no doubt it can take me anywhere i want to go.... not so for the Ninja.... I could go anywhere I want to go on the triumph as well but dirt is not as good as the street but it will do it.....
but when you add the ABS delima to the Mix that RX4 becomes a bike I am getting conflicting signals from I can ride it like the triumph and not use the front brake at all..... but if I panic stop with the RX4 I'm going to hit what ever it is unless I USE both brakes that I can assure you ! because once that
rear wheel skids there is no brakes on the rear till you let up and hit it again
and I did not miss quote that , that is exactly what happened the tire was NOT locked up the brakes just quit.... well that actually SUX big time !!!!
if I forget to use both brakes it could be as good as hitting something
if the rear wheel looses traction for a split second.... to me that is asking to get hurt.... when a Deer hops out in front of you at 60mph my instincts are to hit both brakes and look for a clear path through them ( because there is always more than one!)
... there is an easy way to disconnect the ABS..... just pull the fuze ! it won't help you if there's no power to it ! LOL
but I think that would kill both front and back wheel and the front is not the problem.... at least I haven't tried to slide the front yet anyway LOL
... it's a bit ironic if you think about it in an effort to make motorcycles safer they introduced a flaw into the system that makes the stopping even more dangerous than it was before ... and I suppose their argument would be well, use it as it was intended !.....
but right now I have a bike that if I skid the rear wheel the rear brake goes away...... what kind of Logic thinks that is better ? even if it does stop faster when used properly with both brakes,... why didn't they link both brakes then ?????
..... so if I disable the rear ABS is the front going to work ? I doubt it ,I expect it will react just like the rear without the front... which means the brake system is so broken that it can't be trusted.... UNLESS you use both brakes !
I guess I learn how to ride correctly this time eh ? LOL
Bob......