View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2022, 09:55 PM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well the way I took it ...a few days ago was that you said the ABS system needs both brakes being used at the same time to work properly... maybe I misunderstood i dunno.... but on the RX4 the front and rear wheels are independent of each other.... meaning I can use the rear brake alone and the ABS system will work on it as intended...... the problem is as INTENDED
...what I found out today is that the ABS when triggered by loosing traction,
will reduce the pressure to the brake to alow it to continue to spin ( that I already knew) but it re applies that pressure at a reduced amount ....
so your not going to get a Rrrrt, Rrrrt, Rrrrt, till you stop it just reduces the rear brake to stop that sliding completely.... ( i thought that is what I should get is a Rrrrt, Rrrrt, Rrrrt.... of the rear wheel sliding then alowed to roll ,then sliding again... but that is not how it's designed it reduces the pressure on the calipers so much that it feels like there is no brakes at all being applied !
it will stop you..... but I am betting I could easily stop faster then the ABS system on this bike, because of the reduced pressure .
I would have to disable it to tell though...
I think I've given the wrong impression about my braking on a bike....
I do use the front brake alot.... when I want that extra stopping power, but most of the time I don't need it.....
but when that car pulls out infront of me have no fear I will be on that front brake pronto ! I don't have that big of an adversion to using the front brake ! and with ABS I can MASH it with no fear of doing a front wheel lock up....it won't allow that...!
years ago on my 1100cc Honda Shadow I was coming back home in Shingletown CA. ( near Mt.Lassen ) and was booking it, traffic was light and
there was no reason not to...... I was doing somewhere around 70mph in the twisties with a big wide road and plunty of room.... so I was enjoying the evening ride....
I came around a turn and there were at least 12 deer in the road covering both lanes I grabbed both brakes and did my best to slow down some but it was obvious i was going through that heard so I picked the most likely opening and threaded the needle in the middle of that group I saw a buck jump over me...yes I ducked but I made it through without touching a one I looked im my rear view mirror so see them scattering in all directions....
and then remembered to breathe....
I almost wet my pants Man that was close ! but my instincts are to use that front brake.... some old codgers won't touch that front brake but I certainly will ! LOL....
later ....my dinner is done !
....Bob....