View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2022, 02:32 PM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

on any bike the front brake can get you seriously hurt. BUT your right that is where most of the stopping power is found... you as a rider have to know when it is safe to use the front brake hard.... sand or dirt on the pavement in a corner is not the place to use the front brake ...we know that from experience but new riders don't know that...but they will learn very fast that that front brake can and will make you crash.
going down from the use of the front brake on a dirt road is alot worse than having the ass pass you on a dirt road...because of using the rear brake
the results of both are bad.... you dumped it ! but going down with the front the bike throws you into the ground and there is not much you can do to prevent it. with the rear locked up and sliding all over the place back there chances are you have a good chance of keeping it under control till you stop
Not so with the front ..it locks up and slides left or right and your down in an instant with no time to react... it's super fast !
I use the front brake every time I get on the bike but I use it cautiously
it's a killer that needs to be respected... the rear brake can mess you up too if you lock it up...I've seen the ass of my bike turn sideways many times when the ground was fairly level.... you never know what that back end is going to do if you lock up the wheel.... usually it's mild and pirty much stays in line but when you brake traction it can and frequently does do ANYTHING IT WANTS TO !
ABS is SUPPOSED to prevent locking up both the front and rear wheels...
which is a good thing a sliding tire makes you loose control and you go down
... but the old style ABS systems where you could feel and hear the pulsations.... worked fantastically in that they could stop the bike faster than a seasoned rider could every time....
..with the new ABS systems I am doubting that they can still do that
in fact it felt like I could stop about 3 times faster with normal brakes when I tested My ABS.... but more testing is needed before I draw any conclusions
I may well disable the ABS if that's the case !
My RX4 has a really wide tire on the rear what has a big foot print and when I locked it up it took alot of force to do that and I was stopping incredibly fast
then it quit... it's like WTF? i still don't understand that
the ABS should keep it on the verge of sliding not let up so much you fall back onto the seat....
..... but like I said more testing is in order....
Bob......