View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2022, 04:13 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I agree - on dry, predictable pavement with warmed up tires in good condition, like most racetrack situations - a rider can use pretty much all the front braking that a motorcycle can handle. Too much and the bike becomes unsteady as the front dives and rear lifts - well before any traction limit is reached between the tires and the pavement. They are also hitting braking points within a surprisingly small and predictable location every trip around the circuit. That means the normal process of "see something - decide to brake - start to brake - bring brake pressure up to maximum" for street riding, is more like "brake at this marker". ABS is much more helpful in the first sequence than the second.

Braking strategies that can be used with ABS in bikes (and cars) can eventually be about more than just keeping the tire from losing traction. Turns out that in cars (and I bet in bikes, but what I've read was specifically for cars), so many accidents occur because drivers don't use enough brake pressure in an emergency stop. The car had plenty of capability to stop quicker, the tires had plenty of traction, but the driver still runs into what they were trying to avoid. So car manufacturers have put in things like "emergency brake assist", which tries to sense that, and actually give the braking performance that the driver appeared to want - judged by the velocity of how the brake pedal is applied - not only the ultimate pressure that the pedal is held down with. So in emergency stops, the vehicle actually does stop closer to its capabilities if possible.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote