View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2022, 12:16 AM   #29
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

OK ABS on the RX4..... what do I know about it NOW ?
.... it does work as they intended it to....
.... both wheels are linked together so the rear will activate the front brake if needed
.... the wheels are independant in the fact that you can use either without affecting the
other wheel up to the point of skidding at that point both wheels are affected.
.... the bike does indeed stop very fast by itself and I will be hard pressed to beat it on a
good day ! so I'm definitely not taking the ABS system OFF ! LOL
.... I think installing a ABS switch for the dirt would be a good thing as there are times
when you want to lock either wheel up and keep it locked up and the ABS system
prevents that... and that is not what I want. so a switch is in the works !
This has definitely been a learning experience... Me jumping to conclusions and not knowing how they actually work definitely screws a person up ! For That I apologize to everyone here.... I should have had concrete evidence and not guess work, and more knowledge on how the system really works than "what I was told" years ago....
I've wanted ABS on a bike sense they first came out because I thought "that will put an END to front end wash-outs !" now that I own one I'm not so sure that is the case at all...... if your tearing around a corner and not using your brakes and hit pee-gravel or sand the ABS brakes are not going to help with that unless if you hit your brakes and that act causes it to brake traction then the ABS will kick in and intervene for you...
... most likely your going down anyway as the traction is not available for that speed.
the ABS can't help with stupidity ! LOL
but it can help with miss applied brake pressure in fact it excels at that !
hit the rear brake too hard and the rear wheel brakes traction it will then apply some braking force to the front wheel and keep you slowing down at the same rate you were slowing down before you broke traction..... THAT IS PIRTY DARN SLICK !!!!
but Old riders need to be aware of that fact so they don't defeet the ABS when braking
you need to put away your skills and just pound the brakes and let the bike stop itself
and that is not so easy to do sometimes !
My first test of the ABS system was a failure because I defeated the ABS System
I used my skills to keep the rear from braking loose and all braking went askew !
you have to brake like a idiot and then the system works great !
Bob....