View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2022, 08:47 AM   #57
petrolhead
ninjette.org member

Name: Jarno

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

The dynamic compression was just an example of a useful number about an engine. Where people are always asking how much is too much compression for pump gas, the answer is "that depends" 11:1 for a stock cam car motor might be a lot. Them having quite low rod/stroke ratios and really mild cams.
My car build has/had 13,5:1 on pump fuel. But it had 300/300 deg cam. Inlet closes @ 76° ABDC.
Yes it assumes 100% VE. However, dynamic CR tells you how close you are to the upper limit of actual compression pressure better than static CR. That's what I was getting at.
From those figures you posted seems like older engines close inlet later. With ~12,6 CR you're closish to the same dynamic CR as in newer model.

BTW, the factory manual quotes 272° from 0 to 0 for the 2008-12 cams.
If the valve sizes and cam specs are same-ish o newer and older models, that's useful info.

I looked at factory cam timing for our bike. From my perspective, having looked at car cams all my life, it looks to me that inlet cam is advanced. Makes me think whether dicking around with timing might give some extra punch past 10000rpm.

Last futzed with by petrolhead; May 23rd, 2022 at 10:14 AM.
petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote