View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:59 AM   #68
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I like it. That also gives you the option of using aftermarket huggers for the 300 that have a slightly taller profile to catch more debris that's thrown at the shock.
Yup, aftermarket 300 huggers should fit on the 250 swingarm ok. The 300 swingarm has those two extra holes that you might need to add, depending on how the aftermarket one is secured. The 300 swingarm has another brake hose bracket toward the front, but that shouldn't be an issue unless the aftermarket hugger uses some weird method of hooking into that. Something made for the 250 (or these modified CBR/Byson parts) might interfere with the 300's extra bracket if you were going the other way though.

The hole on the arm uses a riv-nut (92210-1397), but I was able to simply drill and tap it directly in the top of the arm. It might not be a bad idea to use a riv-nut if you're putting on an aftermarket hugger that's bigger/heavier though. The one up front is just a tapped hole in the bracing around the shock opening.

Oh yeah, there is one other change I almost forgot about. The 300 piece sits flat on the swingarm where the 250's chainguard slot is. I ripped that whole slot-bracket off my swingarm. You might need to trim the 300 piece or finagle things a bit if you want it to fit without removing that. The screw in front takes the place of the slot in securing that section of the plastic.

My 500 has an inner fender that comes down quite low toward the swingarm, rather than a pretty undertail. The 300 chainguard/hugger was a nearly-PnP item that took care of the chainguard, plus gave a bit of extra protection for my shock, while looking a little cooler. For my unique situation, I think it's one of the best options, plus it's cheap and easy. If I find an aftermarket 300 hugger that I really like, maybe I'll upgrade in the future.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote