View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #57
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Are there any avid hikers on this forum? I'm looking for experts' brains to pick a bit.
I've been pondering the idea of starting at the foot of the Appalachian Trail and seeing just how far I can go. I have spent the last year reading autobiographies of those who have traveled it and doing basic trail research. I'm pretty sure I'm not going back into teaching next year, and I have no idea what else I want to do with my life. It feels like I may be approaching the best time of my life to attempt to hike the trail...spend 6 months to a year hiking, stopping when needed, and hiking some more. Come home a different person with different perspectives and start over.
It's almost laughable the amount I have left to learn before such an endeavor. Over the next few months, I'm signing up for a Wilderness Emergency and First Aid class at REI as well as attending some presentations given by folks who have thru-hiked the whole 2,180 mile trail from Ga to Maine. I'm going to start researching and saving for gear. I hear packing is the most difficult task...keeping the pack between 20-35 pounds is quite a challenge.
Anyway, what is the longest duration anyone here has "lived in the woods", so to speak? What were your most important items? I'd love to hear some of your experiences!
I've hiked the entire Georgia section of the Appalachian Trail.

Here are the contents of my pack.

I'm using a NorthFace Terra 30L pack.
Inside is the following:
Headlamp,bearbag clothesline, leatherman, moleskin notebook and pencil, hothands handwarmers, first aid kit, zipties, bugspray,ductape,alcohol fuel canister, enamel cup, alcohol stove, magnesium fire starter, matches in tin, bandanna, nalgene bottle, food bag with 3-5 days of mountain house, 6x5 tarp ground cloth, tent in yellow bag, three microfiber shirts, froggtoggs rainsuit, 2 pairs of shorts, thermal pants and shirt, 2 pairs of socks, thermarest, compass, rainfly, and sleeping bag

On me, would be my big knife, columbia pants, microfiber shirt, goose down jacket, and solomon hiking shoes.

All together it comes in at 27.6lbs

For your first time on the AT, figure on 8 miles a day. NO MORE, I dont care how fit you think you are. If you start at springer mtn, you'll make it to the first shelter on hawk mtn your first day...and you'll be tired.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote