View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #23
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Sorry for the delayed response! Trying to incorporate as many suggestions as possible into the route. I've updated it quite a bit, although there are still some barren areas, and I'll definitely be improvising plenty:

http://mapq.st/211uXG6 (For the record, I'm only using map quest over google because they let me use more markers. I fully acknowledge that google is otherwise better in every way)

I did pick up a national park pass last time I went camping at Joshua tree, so the national parks are definitely what I'm really shooting for the most. Never knew those existed until one of my other friends mentioned them. They got soo much of my money last year needlessly T_T

Still gotta tweak a lot of the roads to grab some of these route and restaurant suggestions and be slightly more back roadsie, (Although I'm going alone and I'm not much of a canyon carver anymore- so I very very very strongly prefer scenic over technical or challenging when I'm riding on the street), but I think this is a great start! Thanks a lot so far guys! I've barely seen the US so far, save when visiting race tracks, so I'm pretty clueless on what all is awesome otherwise. And none of these legs are toooooo terribly far apart so far, so I think I'll be in okay shape distance per day wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Forget the Florida route, head north to the smokey mountains!! Wait, what's the timing? They're kinda hit or miss on snow right now if I had to guess.
I would so love to do this (I also really really want to tack in some mountain hot springs when I'm on the way back, since I expect to need them desperately), but it's all heavily dependent on the weather. Leaving mid march, and looping back to texas for motogp mid april, then more likely than not hitching a ride back with a couple friends to LA who are riding their bikes to CotA and back from there. I'm going to be unemployed though, so I definitely can get in some of that after I get back from the initial cross country trip if all goes well. If I'm being honest, I'm way more interested in seeing the northern states, but the timing is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
A few general things when traveling:

- Make it a point to avoid Interstate highways whenever possible. Riding on the superslab is the best way to NOT see the country.

- Make it a point to avoid franchise restaurants whenever possible. Visit funky, local, unique places instead.

- When you have the time, ride through little towns instead of around them. You'll encounter delightful surprises everywhere you go.
I'll do my best! Although I'm pretty directionally retarded, so I'll also do my best to not get completely lost and never be seen again, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I like using the food networks web site and visiting restaurants that TV shows such as Diners Drive Ins and Dives or Man Vs Food have been to.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
If you want to add some goofiness to your ride, check out http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ and pick a handful of delightfully odd roadside places to bring some wimsy to your days.

I'm using it to plan my next vacation just to have some fun stuff to stop at (or ride, like the massive long arrow straight road in Oklahoma).
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugs View Post
If you make it all the way down to Key West, Sandy's cafe makes awesome sandwichs open 24/7. Get the Cuban or Fat Sandy Sandwich.

That looks magical- Bookmarking all of these- thank you!
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote