View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #52
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_S View Post
Thank you sir, that's pretty nifty.

Mind if I ask how you chose this particular engine?
Well, I wanted 2-stroke street bike for the last 15 years, so this HAD to be a 2-stroke. I would be riding an NSR, an RGV, RG or an Aprilia RS250 but they are just too damn expensive or hard to find! One day I may still get one or SEVERAL of the above, we'll see!

I started to look at dirt bike engines. I wanted something with parts readily available, something with a record of being reliable, and something BIG AND POWERFUL with a history of hurting people.

So the CR500 was a natural choice.

I've also noticed that people are putting CR500 engines into all sorts of things. Karts, AF CR250 chassis, ATCs ATV, you name it. But no street bikes! Then one day while I was doing some research I came across someone else with the same idea, he was putting one into a korean United Motors bike. He did have lots of problems, but he was doing silly things like drilling carb parts to *fix* things. Bad news.

I also looked at KX500 engines, but they seemed a little more complex with the exhaust power valves, and there aren't as many of those around and are much more expensive to rebuild.

2-stroke single-cylinder engines are narrow, so I needed to find a narrow sports bike chassis. I4 bike frames are WAAAAAAAAY too big! But the CHEAP V-twin SV with a blown engine was the perfect choice! They've been around 10 years, has a long list of aftermarket support, its lightweight aluminum and is a rather all-round popular bike that is easy to upgrade.

But I have a big box of all sorts of parts, master cylinders, grips, wires, chains, shocks, swingarms, brake/clutch levers and cables etc etc. I haven't had to buy hardly anything yet because I've been diving into my own parts bins and making things work!