View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2021, 04:17 PM   #7
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Very interesting project! I really like the look and the idea of a 250 twin dirt bike is great. I would like to know if the CR carb helps make more torque or if the smaller split intake manifold is what is responsible for all the torque you reported. who made the manifold and where did the CR carb come from/off? Was it repurposed from another bike or purchased for this project? I would love more info (possibly in a PM) since my wife does not like to rev out her bike and more (torque) power down low has been the reason for many of the mods I have done to her 2012 250. Love the project
Hey there, been forever since I saw this bike, I wish I could tell you more about it as the memory is not so great now. Pretty sure the carb was off a Honda 450, my buddy who was a Honda tech sourced the carb and made the intake. He actually ran the same carb on an old HD shovelhead motor (and many other builds) with great success. I guess it was his opinion that this was just a great all-around carb and used them on everything. I don't even know where the power hit as I don't think I ran any gauges on this one.
As far as I know, my old neighbor's boyfriend still has this bike on his farm in Michigan's UP. I gave it to him when I moved to California. It sure was a fun and interesting thing to ride... I even did it up better than you see in these pics but I doubt I could find evidence of it. I know I put a round headlight on it, a real dirt tire on the back and cleaned a few things up here and there. It never gave me any problems and it was really reliable. I was always surprised people didn't turn the 1st gens into dirt bikes more often but nowadays we have a lot more dirt-prepped streetbikes on the market.