View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2021, 08:30 PM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Jim !
if you get used to a tall bike it's not a problem , I know I've done that as well
but I have found that a shorter bike is so much easier to "Manhandle" and
maneuver in the yard that it is not even funny.
IF YOUR used to it you know what you must do at a stop sign if your not it catches you by surprise and you can drop it just because of that.... yah you learn quickly ...no doubt !
a lower bike is important for a few reasons people that are short ( like me)
need the lowness just to push the bike backwards...even on flat ground !
other wise you have to get off and pull it backwards by the handle bars and that can get ugly fast. slip on a rock and you have a bike on top of you !
it's much safer if you can just waddle backwards while on the bike. BUT you can't really do that too easily if the bike is tall.
if your used to the bike being tall and your trying to move it backwards your butt comes off the seat to the left and your left leg moves you backwards
it's what ever you get used to I guess...it's easier to screw up and fall over when the bike is tall ... than when it is shorter to the ground.
GROUND HANDLING is the main reason I suppose, when your flying low it has no real bearing unless you drag something ! .... and sense I bit the dirt doing 50MPH on a country road because I drug something I am acutely aware of how dangerous it is to drag something on the bike !
so anytime a person lowers Anything on a bike you must take into consideration ...is it going to DRAG ????
Now with my bike lowered to the max I am going to have to be real careful and make darn sure nothing even touches the pavement no matter the conditions. it would ruin my day to discover the exhaust pipe hits the pavement on a tight turn and wind up in the trees ! ( or side stand)
Bob.......