View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2021, 08:00 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

True, the harder the wire the easier it is to brake....
I'm glad Ducattiman got you all fixed up !
when I use wire to clean out passageways in carbs I try to use the wire of the right size.... several times smaller than the hole because if it's too tight a fit you will get it stuck in there ! .... I remember cleaning out a 450cc honda carb one time and all I could find was chicken wire... so I used a chunk of it....
sure enough it was a tight fit and it got stuck and stuck good..but I could barely wiggle it and after about an hour I finally got it back out....
then it hit me like a ton of bricks "torch tip cleaners" there are a varity of sizes
and their strong... BUT they have file like edges and can ream things out if you get too carried away.... I've used them to increase Main jet size a few times and they work fairly well for that...
the smallest wire you'll need is in the emulsifier tubes below the main jet
those are usually dirty and need poked out the 2nd to the smallest torch tip cleaner is perfect for that in my tool box .... better in fact than the brushes I bought on line for carb cleaning..... Oxy/Acetylene torch tip cleaners are not that expensive and I have been using them for decades to clean carbs
( when I can find the bloody things)... I think I have 3 sets of them now
...one of the tools I won't be without ! I haven't had a torch set in many a year now due to the Ranch fire but I still have my torch tip cleaners they were spared the fire! ...
Bob.........