View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #21
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Before one starts with the suspension...
...the first steps should be, reduce as many weight as allowed.

Here are some thoughts about that:
Galespeed Rims ~ 2.0 kilograms (Magnesium = 4.0 kilograms)
All screws from aluminum ~ 2.0 - 2.5 kilograms
Rear subframe aluminum ~ 3.5 kilograms
Front fairing stay aluminum ~ 1.0 kilogram
Race fairings ~ 2.0 - 3.0 kilograms
Sprockets aluminum ~ 1.0 kilogram
Chain-Kit 418 ~ 1.0 kilogram
Engine covers from Carbon ~ 1.0 - 2.0 kilogram
Remove the balance shaft ~ 2.0 kilograms
and many more...
You forgot the biggest one - my gut. Lol, I'm not exactly Dani Pedrosa. I'm working on that right now though. I'm 215 and 5'-11". My bike is sprung for that weight, and I think I could get down to 190-195 before I need to redo my springs again. My triathlon weight when I'm in training is 185.

No aftermarket wheels for me - I have to stay withing SS rules. All screws aluminum? Seems dangerous with the low shear strength, and making all screws titanium is a waste of money. Carbon engine covers on a bike with a heavy steel frame? Bahaha no thanks.

I'm thinking about a chain and sprocket kit, but that's low priority for the time being. As for modifying the frame, I need to make the decision that this will never be a road bike again. Not sure at this point and I have all the street plastics in a box in the basement. Of course after I crash it, I'll say "yup, this is going to stay a track bike." Hahah. But make no mistake, the ninja's heavy wheels and "heavy side down" front forks are total crap. Very high unsprung weight and there's real no fixing it while staying under supersport rules. About all we can do is improve it slightly. Bike is still fun as hell though.

I'm an engineer and I do have access to FEA as part of our AutoCAD design suite, but I wouldn't bother. If I did do some milling, I would just draw up good cross section of the rim and the spokes and make a judgement call. It's not rocket science. I only do track riding and therefor can rule out road hazards. The wheels won't fall apart on me unless I high side it or hit an off track obstacle.

A guy on the CCS forum machined the middle rib down on an SV650. It passed tech but it was less than a half pound. Probably not even worth it. I lost more weight than that with my EBC floating rotor. I guess the nice part is that I got the major components of the build done so now I can have fun thinking about the minor mods like trimming weight.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.