View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Anyone make a motorcycle bench + stands as opposed to a lift?

Rather than a lift, I want to assemble a low table just wide enough to comfortably support my front and rear stands where the stands will give additional lift to come close to the height of a ramp. Has anyone done anything like this for their bike?

Here's where I'm starting:
Instead of a garage, I have a furnished accessory building full of man-cave home theater stuff, so I have to work with a mostly-enclosed lean-to that has a gravel floor. I plan to level it and lay out flat concrete blocks to make a quick and dirty floor where I will also lay out interlocking workshop foam mats (already have plenty of this stuff). In the middle I want to set up a semi-permanent table/workbench for elevating the bike I am working on with ramps to get it up and then traditional stands to lift it a bit more (swingarm stand and triple-tree stand). If I need to do swingarm service I can ratchet it to the (very low!) roof. Because the roof is already so low, I can't waste much vertical clearance on the floor and I will have to keep the surface of the bench low too (probably not even two cinder blocks tall).

This is the plan:
-Measure how much width I need to comfortably set up stands and arrange two rows of cinder blocks within this distance apart.
-Cut a 2x12 board into a few pieces to go across the width as reinforcement for the surface board.
-Place a large rectangular board that spans the whole area on top.
-Get a couple of those automotive ramps that will help get the bike on the boards.
-Profit?

This almost sounds too easy. Perhaps I need to make it with a removable center section for more clearance when doing oil changes. Any other ideas for improvements before I get started?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote