Old January 7th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
A few thoughts:

1) You don't have a real floor, and you're just piling stuff up to make your table. I have to wonder about stability. If this rig isn't rock solid you're asking for trouble.

2) It's all just piled up and so not really permanent, but it'll be a PITA to disassemble/move. Are you willing to have this thing in the middle of your workspace at all times? You'll constantly be bumping into it. One advantage of a lift like the HF one is that it's got wheels.

3) Consider the whole act of getting the bike up onto the table, then onto the stands and the space that takes, not just the width of the stands themselves. Remember, you need to stand next to the bike while you lift it onto the rear stand. You need to walk next to the bike to roll it up the ramps. Can you do all this if the bike is up on the table while you're standing on the floor? Or will you need to make the table wide enough for you as well as the bike?

4) Stuff happens. What if you screw up getting the bike onto the table? Think about a chock to keep it from rolling off the end. Think about what the bike will hit if it falls to one side or the other.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote