View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk834 View Post
Has to do with the pusification of society. Kids are raised today to be soft, and to avoid dangerous things at all costs. Motorcycles are viewed overall by people as too dangerous to be involved with, and the people who ride them as bring crazy, non-desirable type people. It has definately been having a negative effect on the motorcycle industry as a whole here in this country, because there just simply aren't as many riders as there were 10-15 years ago. By all accounts, In the future there will be even less, as people move even further into the "safety at all costs" mindset. Raising their kids to feel the same.
I see Honda leading that trend. They are the first to add-in automotive technology to cycles, in an attempt to make them safer and more appealing to new riders. At the same time removing the need for any real skills to operate a cycle "proficiently or "safely".

I guess they are doing everyone a favor with linked braking, airbags, automatic transmissions, reclined seating, low-revving fuel-efficient engines, automatic balancing, and automatic emergency braking.

I'm just not on-board with all that, but it may be the only way to get new riders interested in riding and buying cycles eventually.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote