Old June 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #13
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
the liter bike is going to be more heavy and expensive. The power delivery is also different, 600's are a lot more high strung. Could also check out the triumph daytona 675. Going from a 250 to a liter bike is a HUGE leap, too much throttle and the front end will lift right up with ease
I find the liter to be about the same weight and same price (once the initial purchase is done). With the right amount of throttle the front end will lift just like you want it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
What are they making now? 180hp or something like that?
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If we're comparing top-line 600's and the same top-line 1000's from the big 4, here are my thoughts...

Purchase cost isn't terribly different, parts costs aren't terribly different, running costs are similar, though the literbike can be harder on rear tire wear. MPG is about the same, and mostly varies by rider size & the usage of the bike rather than the cc differences. Bike weight is more similar than one might think going in, as is handling. A modern 1000 with modern tires feels about as flickable as a 600 . That On the street where revs are lower, there is less noticeable a difference.

The literbike can be ridden out of its powerband and has significant torque at all engine speeds, while a modern 600 has a much peakier powerband. For me, that makes the literbike more enjoyable as it can be ridden at 30% and it's still responsive and entertaining. For a track only bike, I really prefer a 600, but for a do-it-all street + trackday bike, I've enjoyed the larger machines. YMMV.

From a safety standpoint, both can be equally unsafe. For what it's worth, Keith Code believes he sees fewer crashes on the road and on the track on 1000's, as people are generally more careful with applying the power rather than just whacking it open as you can get away with sometimes on the smaller bike.
Easier to ride a liter, quieter in the neighborhood (lower RPMs), torque down low for better gas milage, whacking the throttle (on the track) is mind boggeling fun (don't do it on the street), I find the handling to be perfect (feels like a smaller bike when set up right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I honestly think I'd respect the 1000 more and treat it responsibly.
Pushing the vehicle less in normal riding circumstances due to the torque is what I'd like.
Once used to the power a good trashing will wet your pants (in a good way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I will recommend a gixxer 750, though.
I recommend a 750 also (if you don't want a liter).

My youngest son went from having the 250 for a few months to a liter. He has been riding it for over a year with no problems (except rear tires). He is still only 17.

If you get a liter, start off at the track and learn how to use the bike properly. It will save your life on the street.

They say the 600 is a better track bike but at the track we use I have no problems saying "bye bye" to the 600s. The lap record is on a 1000 also (not set by me).

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; June 3rd, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote