Old May 30th, 2018, 04:44 PM   #32
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by THusker View Post
Maybe you timed it just right to get into the after church traffic? Plus being a holiday weekend. More people out and about.
Keep after it! Just think how much stronger you will be after a few more uphill gravel workouts
I didn't even think about the after church crowd. It was around lunch time 11/12. Trying to get her up the gravel really hurt my arm, lol. I ended up having to push her up the side with less of an incline and go onto the pad from an angle. Then I couldn't get her lined up with the dang anchor. I kept having to push her forward then back forward then back to get her lined up. Curse me for just ordering the shorter chain lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Check this link, the photo is the tool kit. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230081

You will see what adouglas is talking about. It also includes the 10mm wrench you need. I can't remember if the wrenches in the 250 and 300 are the same.
Thanks, I was just talking to Ducati999, and he said it's a cheapy wrench but it's in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Re-read your second ride post and have a comment.

You're working on one of the more difficult skills, namely riding the bike at very low speed. It's good that you're doing that, but it can get frustrating if you feel you have to master that before picking up the pace.

Think about riding a bicycle. Which is easier... riding it as slow as you can, or riding it at speed? When you were learning to ride a bicycle, did you spend a lot of time riding so slow you were about to fall over, or did you just GO? Same deal.

The amount of time you spend at very low speeds is minimal compared to regular riding. But stick with it... you do need to be able to handle the bike at a walking pace from time to time.
I don't mind starting out on the more difficult slow stuff while I wait to get to the parking lot. Yeah, it is easier to go fast, but like you said, I need to be able to handle the bike at walking pace. It's helping me get a feel for the brake and the clutch, and coming to a stop safely. I've learned that if I get too squirrely and need to stop suddenly that I can do so without grabbing a handful of brake, and I do what I need to do to stop without even thinking about it - clutch/brake/steady stop/foot down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THusker View Post
Totally agree! I am probably just a couple steps further along than you are with about 800-1000 miles since starting out in March. On my sunrise Memorial Day ride I had to do a little U turn to go back to the house. And wasn't as steady as I should have been. Took about 5 min before I took off again practiceing slow speed maneuvers. Going fast on easy runs makes the slow speed skills rusty.
Another good reason for me to practice those slow speed skills off the bat!

I got good news today from 2 different people. I was able to tentatively set aside time for parking lot practice tomorrow afternoon

and....one of my customers is a professional photographer, and he was asking me about the bike today. I talked to him for a bit about it and mentioned how I would like to start riding her to work once I get comfortable because of all the good roads in the surrounding area I see when driving to cleans. I mentioned a specific area that he knows well, and he just smiled and said "I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse. This summer, when you're ready, we'll meet up and go out there and I'll bring all of my equipment and take pics of you riding your bike, and off the bike and we'll have a great time." I was floored that he offered that.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote