View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2018, 03:30 PM   #1
brashidnia
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bobak

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Cold start problems

So I recently bought a 2008 Ninja 250R from someone and it has major problems starting in the cold. And by cold, I mean 50F and below. The previous owner installed a DynoJet Jet kit, removed the snorkel, and I added a K&N performance air filter.

I'm probably going to take it to a shop because I don't have the time/resources to keep trying to fix it. From what I have read, the problem could be the idle mixture screws, idle speed adjustment, dirty carb, vacuum leaks, improper float adjustment, etc. After adjusting the idle, checking the float height, and cleaning the carb, nothing changed, and the only thing that seemed to work was actually using high octane gas. I did not really check for an air leak because after it started with the high octane, it got very cold (<20F) and I haven't been able to get the bike started since. The spark plugs were dark, meaning its probably running rich, but no matter how I adjust the idle mixture screws/speed, nothing changes.

I have had a lot of people say that these 250's have trouble in the cold but 50 degrees seems unreasonable.

If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated!
brashidnia is offline   Reply With Quote