View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #121
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremez31 View Post
I snowboard and am used to falling, when I fall, I dig my board broadside into the snow with my knees bent to slow down / stop. I also put my palms down, I wasn't wearing gloves and didn't feel the road eating my hands. I was also not wearing any impact protection or riding pants. This accident could have killed me. I was also wearing an open face helmet.
I too snowboard, but I've gotten very used to sliding on my back, lightly scraping heelside edge into snow, and most importantly, crossing my arms across my chest. Yesterday when I crashed, that same instinct kicked in, and when I got up, I noticed that my gloves, albeit dirty and grass stained, were not shredded at all. My textile jacket also was surprisingly fine for sliding across pavement. Not even a scuff mark!

Biggest thing I learned is from now on, to always treat unfamiliar curves as carefully as possible (even familiar ones too), and to start scanning the road for debris. I also learned it's a bad move to try to claim from the insurance for your bike. I cancelled my claim because I thought they were going to total my bike regardless of the damage (hopefully) being just cosmetic. I'm just going to fix the thing myself.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote