View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #70
Voodoo Rufus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250, Blue

After reading this thread, I wanted to share my experience so far.

I went over a 7kft+ pass on one fun ride, and my bike was acting like there was a subtle, random cut in power at WOT in 5th and 6th. It wouldn't maintain 60mph going up relatively gentle uphill climbs. Acted gutless. I had to downshift to 4th sometimes to maintain velocity.

The next day before my other long ride, I removed the snorkel. I went over Mirror Lake Highway at over 11kft, and the bike was much better. I still had to downshift to 5th to get good climbing power, but there wasn't that bogging feeling anymore, and it would cruise WOT in 6th without random cutting. Once I got over the pass and took a break at the bottom, the only thing that needed tweaking was the idle speed, as it climbed to about 2k instead of the normal 1250 I have it set at. The bottom end feels fine and the upper end extended the shift point from about 10k to 11k for me. Throttle response is perfect.

In Evanston, my base altitude is 7,000 feet, so the bike probably runs rich with the snorkel and pretty close to perfect (by feel) with it removed. I am going to check the plugs as part of my 600 mile service and see how the color is post-snorkel mountain blasting.
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote