View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #72
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
The next day before my other long ride, I removed the snorkel. I went over Mirror Lake Highway at over 11kft, and the bike was much better. I still had to downshift to 5th to get good climbing power, but there wasn't that bogging feeling anymore, and it would cruise WOT in 6th without random cutting. Once I got over the pass and took a break at the bottom, the only thing that needed tweaking was the idle speed, as it climbed to about 2k instead of the normal 1250 I have it set at. The bottom end feels fine and the upper end extended the shift point from about 10k to 11k for me. Throttle response is perfect.
That's kinda funny, the Mirror Lake Highway is exactly where I was riding when I first noticed my bike had the same problems you were describing...I can't wait to get back up there now that I have everything tuned up a bit better

Just pulling the snorkel helped me at higher altitudes too and I was quite pleased with the bike, but now that I have done a few more things I don't know that I could go back to just removing the snorkel. If you are considering removing the airbox or rejetting/shimming/adjusting the pilot screws on the carb I would highly recommend it, my bike runs a lot better now that I have...If that's not something you want to do then removing the snorkel is a great way to get some high altitude performance, and best of all it's free!

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote