View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:38 AM   #176
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I did notice that the front forks worked better than they had in the past.....
the "invisible bump" got me again on Hoy Road but it wasn't half as bad as it had been ...and I was clipping it off doing about 40mph that would have jared my teeth loose before. so the ATF in the front forks seems to work on for a soft ride !
I had the front forks all the way up into the handle bar rizers as far as I could get them to go .... about 1.5" I think.... I loosened the tripple trees and used a pair of welding vice-grips to press the forks down, sense it was only on it's side stand with weight on the front wheel.... what worked real good ! it pressed them both down one at a time
and got the tops of the forks at 1/4" above the tripple tree on both sides.
I am thinking that with the lowering of the rear on the bike the rake and trail are all off but before the fork repair it only set nose down slightly.... which is about where it sits now after lowering the forks ! which is weird....I am thinking that they must have had too much or too little fork oil in them to begin with... which would account for the stiff front end I think.... but sense the seals were leaking it needed checked out....
now I wish I left it alone because it just doesn't turn the corner for you anymore...
so my question is, do your bikes turn for you or was mine the exception rather than the rule ? the slightest bit of lean makes the front wheel turn before,... now it takes alot of lean to get that response. but I actually think that is the way it is supposed to be !
( I'll have to learn how to ride it all over again!)(at least in the twistys !)
I am considering dropping the forks again back to the lowest I can get it as it handled alot better that way.... it will be Nose down though... so I dunno....
Bob.....