View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2021, 03:44 PM   #13
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Name: Clark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
What kit was it? 112.5 is still to large IMO.

Honestly, as I've said, I don't care for any of the kits.

With all the changes it's hard to pinpoint which is causing the most problems, but going back to stock jets (stock mains are plenty big) and other modified parts would go a long ways to getting it running properly.

Do you know what the idle mixture screws are set at? That would be the first/simple thing to try to get it running better.

The Main Jet affects mixture as soon as you lift the slides and the needles pull out of the jet - so almost all the time except when the throttle is completely closed.

When making carb adjustments, think in terms of throttle position - 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc.

Having ridden a 250 with pods, I would get an original airbox and bring the carbs back to stock - with maybe just a small shim on the needles. The airbox makes it much more pleasant to ride normally.
Hey there, I've made a change and I've come to report what my findings are. I downsized from the 117.5 to a 112.5. The bike seemed happier at idle. I adjusted the idle mixture screws to two full turns out, since revving it and returning to idle was the smoothest with this setting. Any less and it would hang a little, any more and it drooped below idle.

Once I got it on the road, I noticed it was not wanting to rev past 6k easily. The lower-rev range is better, but not great. Once I fought past the 6k area, probably 1/4-1/2 throttle, it would pick up and take off, but then close to redline it starts to hesitate. If I hold it there, it pulls, then hesitates, and then pulls again. I have not removed the spacers on the needles, only downsized the main jet. The pilot jets are still a 40, but I should be fine as long as I can screw the idle mixture screws in.