View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
A few thoughts:

1) You don't have a real floor, and you're just piling stuff up to make your table. I have to wonder about stability. If this rig isn't rock solid you're asking for trouble.
I've done this kind of thing a few times. Rather than sitting on top of the gravel, the cinder blocks will be planted in the dirt and leveled with the floor on top just like the floor of the 12'x11' shed we just built two months ago and the 16'x16'x16' electrified and furnished accessory building that was built by contractors years ago (no foundation but anchored with tie-down straps per the building inspector for having it electrified). I'll probably be dumping all the gravel outside to lay bricks for the workshop foam floor.

Quote:
2) It's all just piled up and so not really permanent, but it'll be a PITA to disassemble/move. Are you willing to have this thing in the middle of your workspace at all times? You'll constantly be bumping into it. One advantage of a lift like the HF one is that it's got wheels.
Most definitely. This lean-to will be dedicated exclusively to the bikes for the foreseeable future. Because it is out of the sun/rain, I'll probably regularly park one on the bench, which is another reason why I don't want to make it too high.

Quote:
3) Consider the whole act of getting the bike up onto the table, then onto the stands and the space that takes, not just the width of the stands themselves. Remember, you need to stand next to the bike while you lift it onto the rear stand. You need to walk next to the bike to roll it up the ramps. Can you do all this if the bike is up on the table while you're standing on the floor? Or will you need to make the table wide enough for you as well as the bike?
Definitely a consideration. I want to keep it low since the stands will lift somewhat. If it is still uncomfortable to walk beside it then I will put something raised beside it to walk along which I can move once work begins.

Quote:
4) Stuff happens. What if you screw up getting the bike onto the table? Think about a chock to keep it from rolling off the end. Think about what the bike will hit if it falls to one side or the other.
I want it to be wide enough to park there and set it on the side stand even when I am not working on it, so stability is definitely a priority and I don't want it to be risky or awkward to use. I won't be riding it up but I will be pushing it up. A chock might get in the way of a stand but I may make a cheap one on a removable flat board that I can throw up there for the times I am just parking it.

Even though it will be surrounded by walls and a roof, there are openings at ground level on three sides, two of the sides are open at the top (like a horse stable) with one also having a large opening for walk/ride-in access. It's protected from the elements (even wind, mostly) but it's still like working outside as far as messes go. I don't think I'll be hosing it down in there but I won't be making a big deal when chain lube gets all over. Think of it like a floor-less shed with an always-open front door and an open gable on the back. I only have one outlet but I plan to make it into a wind-tunnel with fans on both sides for working in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
A buddy of mine made one not to long ago, fortunatly for him it used to be one of the service departments work benches which was very strong, could hold multiple motors no problem.

I have seen it done a few times actually, anywhere from 2-4 foot tall. Some people have put at the bases a 2x4 or 4x4 that goes side to side about a foot out on each side for stability.

If you google "home made motorcycle table" it comes up with a TON of stuff and ideas!

I really liked this idea so you can roll the table and bike to the side and make extra room in the garage:
I like that idea too but I'd need a proper floor for that.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote