View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM   #18
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
Owning both an '01 and an '09 I would say that the ninja250 thread might be more to the first gen's. Most of the time my '01 does not need any choke to start and run smooth unless it is really cold. When I first got her I did shim the needles and it was the wrong thing to do for her. Didn't get two blocks and she bogged and died. Took out the shims and all was well.

On my '09 this winter I've taken her to work when it was in the mid 20's and she needed full choke to start and then back it down as she warmed up to keep the RPMs under 3K. Sunday it was upper 30's and half choke was plenty.

I usually get my pants and boots on, roll her out of the garage, start her up, and then get my jacket, helmet, and gloves on. If I need to I will nudge the choke down to keep the RPMs under 3K. When I'm ready, she is and off we go. Like Alex choke is off by the end of the first block.

On the shifting, I usually don't have a problem because I am down shifting as I slow down and dropping into first as I come to the full stop. When it has occurred it has been when I didn't down shift at all and tried to go from whatever gear all the way down to first at a dead stop.

Maybe this is a case of the "young ones" never having had a car with a manual transmission that DID NOT have syncros - you either double clutched or you ground. Everything has to line up in the drive train to get it into gear.