View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2019, 06:20 AM   #13
Bando909
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD, 2008 KLR 650, 2006 Triumph Sprint ST

Alright so here's what I got now

Was able to ride the bike today. Petcock rebuild was a fail. So I'm not sure where I went wrong but I know those springs seems sometimes they don't put enough tension on the back of the diaphragm to allow it to close the fuel flow. However the body inside the petcock is so oxidated that that may be why it won't allow it to make a vacuum seal. Not sure much else to do besides trying to get a replacement.

It's much better at Idling but still has some fluctuation, minor compared to before. I checked the battery and it still when running is in spec at 12.6v I assume the stator and regulator are working as the battery level jumps up when the bike is at higher rpm however it's reading 14.4v at the upper rev range. Not sure if this is normal as Ninja Wiki reported 13.8v max so maybe the regulator is going out. Wanted some opinions on that.

Ignition coils are in spec. 14 ohms on primary 2.8 on secondary for both.

Going to check spark plug gap next see if maybe NGK sent me a plug that wasn't gap-ed correctly.

The bike seemed really snappy once it hit 4,000 rpm. Almost too snappy, like wasn't a smooth transition. Also looked at the color of the plugs and wondering if at 2.75 turns its running too lean still as I believe there was some white in the inside of the ground electrode. Set it back another 1/4 turn to 3 turns out. Will see if that helps the ride. Idle wise it seemed to, still able to rev up in the garage but unfortunately I couldn't ride it after the adjustment as it started to Freezing rain :/ Also going to run a warm compression test to see if I'm still getting above 140 psi. To rule out piston ring failure or head gasket leak. Getting closer, I'll get it yet.

However just for thought, Should the idle ever move once it's warmed up? I don't believe so but just wanted to double check to be sure. If not where do your idles constantly stay at? I'm trying to shoot for 1,300 RPM, Dead on in the middle of 1 and 1.5
Bando909 is offline   Reply With Quote