View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:22 PM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I use the same pants (perforated version) as my daily wear. Great deal. That's roughly what I paid.

My jacket is an a* GP-R I bought used for about $200-225 or something like that. A visit to the fabric store and a relaxed evening of sewing and I retrofitted a zipper half to the jacket to mate with the pants. Closeout race gauntlets and Bilt boots complete the set.

All in, I'm head-to-toe leather protected for somewhere between $500 and $600... and the gear is so durable I've been wearing it for something like seven years.

When you get a hospital bill, it really puts the cost into perspective. I wrote a blog post about this if you're interested, with real numbers from my experience. Click the blog link in my profile to find it.

Wearing serious gear is, to me, much more of a convenience/lifestyle question than a cost one. I do have to adjust my expectations and how far I'm willing to go out of my way to protect myself on the bike. Others have different priorities--I respect that. But the bottom line is, you make your choice, and you live with the consequences.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.