View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #1
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

The MSF and my experience

Two months ago, I experienced a slide out because I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle. While recovering, I seriously wanted to walk away. I was afraid to get back on my bike, and yet the allure of riding was still present.

So I began watching every training video that I could find, studying books by experts, and asking questions of experienced riders, which led me here, to this website. Though I am thankful for the advice that I received, my experience with the MSF was not a pleasant one.

To begin with, allow me to say that my comments do not reflect the insight of the MSF instructors that I have spoken with both here, and locally.On the contrary, I found their wisdom to be very helpful. It wasn't until I tried to sign up for the class that I encountered issues.

The local MSF beginners course nearby costs three hundred dollars to attend, which at the time was not something that I could afford; I still can't. (We've all been out of work, had financial issues, and that's where I've been for five months.)

After doing research, I discovered different costs at different sites, so I reached out to the MSF office in Irvine for clarification. To be short, I was met with a very abrupt and rude response, and directed to my state director's office. I didn't even have a chance to inquire about other questions that I had, because they cut me off and hung up.

I got nowhere with the State office as well, and experienced a similar and less harsh reply from Florence-Darlington Technical College where the course is offered. Though I wouldn't recommend it to any other rider, I simply walked away from the notion of taking the course, even though I thoroughly believed it to be the most important factor in learning to ride.

Though a part of me felt defeated, I didn't give up riding. I have spent the past two months practicing some of the same skills that are given at the MSF course on my own, beginning with duck walking my bike to learn the clutch and brake. I spent hours on my bike for a week doing that one skill, before progressing to accelerating and stopping. I did this on a fifty foot concrete driveway for almost two weeks until I knew that I could stop the bike.

Still afraid, I put the bike on my street, and began practicing quick stops for another week. I've learned how to ride on my own, even though that is not what I wanted. Believe me when I say that it took a while before I broke through a personal barrier to becoming comfortable on a motorcycle.

Now I get on it to experiment and learn. That would not have happened had I not had someone give me a copy of Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II book and video. I have watched it at least a dozen times. I methodically plan out each ride beforehand, then go out and do it. I observe what I'm doing, and go over the whole thing again afterwards.

I still have not gotten out on a public road yet, and I wont until I can downshift without issues. When I do, my first ride is already planned, too. Is this the best way to learn? No, but not everyone has the same priveleges, either.

I shared all of this not to bash the MSF, but rather to share my experience, and where I'm at in the learning curve. I didn't get this far to walk away, and I'm not. When I get on my feet, I plan to take the course anyway. I don't see this as a one time experience, but a life long process of learning.
BlueNinjaF18 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.