adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
... always wanting to learn and have fun... everytime to improve something or learn.... fast for me is smooth riding and hitting corners just over the recommend speeds without brakes....
That's textbook group 2.

PS: I'm a pilot also (inactive due to the expense). And before I rode track I was a Class IV whitewater kayaker. I've driven race cars. And I've jumped out of airplanes too.

At no time, ever, has the PRIMARY motivator been the adrenaline rush. Sure it was all fun, but it's always been about the dance first and foremost.

---------------------------------

The question really is, if you had to choose, what's the ONE thing you're really after if you're honest with yourself? The FIRST thing that gets you motivated? What's your priority?

You don't need skill to get an adrenaline rush. You don't need skill to barely survive. Just do dumb things and scare the crap out of yourself.

If you make it through a really sketchy situation where you could have died because of a poor decision, high-five your bud, yell "AWESOME!!!!" and can't wait to do the same dumb-ass thing again, you have your answer. If you come out of that same situation shaken, thinking about what went wrong and how to to it right next time, you also have your answer.

If you're the kind of person who would reflexively run and get involved in a police chase, you have your answer. If you're the kind of person who pulls over and owns up, you also have your answer.

-----------------

I've posted this in a few places and the most common comment comes from racer types who see themselves as a combo of #1 and #2. I disagree somewhat. Adrenaline happens but it's not what gets them on the bike. WINNING is the motivator there and skill is required to get there. Do you really think Rossi is seeking the adrenaline rush per se, or is he ultimately after the top step on the podium? What's his PRIMARY motivator? Winning, obviously.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.