View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #11
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
There is nothing wrong with using the kill switch. That is the way that the MSF course teaches, and it became a habit for me.
I've heard more than a few people cite the MSF course as the source for this misinformation. And that was preceded by something like "Stopped for a drawbridge and didn't want to overheat the engine..." or "killed the engine for a long road construction delay...". And then ended with "... and now my battery is dead, WTF?" Our tiny batteries can only power the headlights for about 5-10 minutes.

Also, if you get distracted and forget to take the key out, you may come out of the store to find your bike missing.

Always use the key to turn off the engine. The big red switch is for emergencies. Its always in the same spot on street bikes whereas the key can be anywhere. The red switch is a safety thing and I'm not sure how long they have been putting it on there.

As for emergencies, I will be adding a tip over switch to my bike with the EFI kit to kill the engine if it ends up on its side. Without a tip over switch, the bike will continue to run on its side since there are no carbs to flood and kill the engine. The engine WILL be destroyed with as little as 30 seconds of running on its side due to no oil being circulated.