View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #26
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendandubs View Post
I am a novice, so cannot say with 100% confidence. Both the tow guy and the first person to take a look at it at the shop agreed it is oil.

Was mostly trusting my buddy, but I am not sure I can blame him. I don't know if I could've messed up the bike bad enough to cause an oil leak by not waiting for it to warm up enough. Or maybe it was just **** timing and this guy was unaware of problems with the bike. The bike has 12000 miles. So I'm going to hear what the shop says, and if they say I got ****ed, I'll call the guy up and tell him the situation and will demand $$ back.

I am just beating myself up for not buying new, because when all the repairs are done and you factor in the value of time, I probably would have saved money.
The bike is not junk, but yes, you got screwed. A guy on here bought a Ninja 250 in similar condition for $200. A friend of mine got his for $1000 in mint condition and 5K miles. Just to beat a dead horse, but you really should have done your homework better. I trust you got a clear title??? And to add insult to injury, the MSRP on that year was only about $3000 brand new.

As far as the oil leak, it could be nothing serious, but the fact that it was leaking at all means that the previous owner never maintained it. Not only that, but he likely abused it.

Honestly, I think the 15000 miles on the odometer is fake. Do the numbers look uneven? That is usually a good indicator that the odometer was rolled back. Simply put, even a bike that isn't maintained well isn't going to leak like that with only 15K miles. Mine has 23K and not a single drip.