Old November 6th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The bike is not junk, but yes, you got screwed. A guy on here bought a Ninja 250 in similar condition for $200. A friend of mine got his for $1000 in mint condition and 5K miles. Just to beat a dead horse, but you really should have done your homework better. I trust you got a clear title??? And to add insult to injury, the MSRP on that year was only about $3000 brand new.

As far as the oil leak, it could be nothing serious, but the fact that it was leaking at all means that the previous owner never maintained it. Not only that, but he likely abused it.

Honestly, I think the 15000 miles on the odometer is fake. Do the numbers look uneven? That is usually a good indicator that the odometer was rolled back. Simply put, even a bike that isn't maintained well isn't going to leak like that with only 15K miles. Mine has 23K and not a single drip.
could mean lots of different things depending on where its actually leaking from (if it is in fact leaking oil and not something else) it could be mechanically perfect but rebuilt without replacing a gasket or the bottom was removed and replaced without a good dose of kawibond. might be something simple like a bad external shift mechanism seal or output shaft seal. if he is really lucky the crank case breather is open and it just had too much oil in it... really hard to say anything about a mystery leak without knowing where its coming from