View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #1
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Emulators worth the money or are springs good enough?

to give you guys a background I'm a season rider who has put 50,000+ miles on my 09. I ride hard, 80% of the time at 9000+ rpm's and I love twisties and do some trackdays as well.

Since I'm with my bike for the long run I've done tasteful mods, such as rearset adjusters, clip ons, Akrapovic exhaust, shim/snorkel delete. I like how my bike is now, the only thing lacking is suspension. Its all stock and has been beat to **** at this point.

I was thinking of getting Race Tech springs for my weight and then started looking into the emulators as well. Springs are about $120 and can easily be popped in while doing a fork oil change. Emulators on the other hand will cost a lot more, about 180 for the parts and 2-3 hours labour (its not something I'd do myself).

I have a good relation with my local shop and the mechanic there who is an ex WSBK racer said pop in the springs and leave it at that...emulators are not worth it, especially on a bike with no front adjustment. He said since I've ridden 6 seasons on stock settings proper springs a rear shock will be a huge improvement for me. I'd also save a few hundred bucks.

So, to guys who have done this or have knowledge of this mod, are springs alone a good enough upgrade or is worthwhile to invest in emulators as well?

PS: Looking at the spring rate calculator when I put in my weight on the street setting it gives me a spring rate of .75kg/mm on track its .80kg/mm. What is the difference between street and track settings? Is it accounting for harder riding style or extra weight from full track gear? I ask this because even on the street I ride HARD and am usually fully geared up.