View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2020, 07:31 AM   #22
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
As you are not describing it correctly...are you actually performing a proper standalone stator output test?

stator *unplugged* from harness, bike running 4K RPM...meter set to AC volts....checking between each of the stators' 3 legs....1-2 2-3 1-3

Please post your 3 separate AC voltage readings

You need to isolate, testing stator output first...then RR and verify integrity of all wiring and connectors between ...no breaks, corrosion, resistance, blah blah.
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yes, I followed the service manual instructions and did what you said.
Stator unplugged, bike running at 4k RPM's, meter reading AC voltage, and checked all three combinations on the stator plug.
In all three readings, voltage would never go higher than 5V.
When measuring the resistance between any of the three connectors to the frame, I would get 0L, so I guess the stator is not grounded.

Again, my multimeter is a $15 multimeter, but if I measure the voltage on the house wall outlet, I get 110V, so it looks like it's working.

Also, after I installed the new battery (acid on and slow charge), I checked the voltage on the battery terminals at 4k RMP's and wouldn't reach 13V.
Then, with the new battery, I went for a test ride, and after 10-15 mins, the red battery light came on. I headed back home, turned off the bike and the battery voltage had dropped to 11.8V.

The bike is 2013, garage kept, 15k miles. All wires and connectors look clean and in very good condition.
I'm actually surprised that the stator went bad at 15k miles, but I've read on line that it was common on 2013's and 2014's N300.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote