View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:27 PM   #13
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce71198 View Post
Well I never paid much attention to it until I put my last engine together and took the bike for a spin around the parking lot. I can only shift between 1st, neutral and 2nd. Not that the positive neutral finder is my problem, I was just wondering about its purpose when this is the only motorcycle that I have worked on that has it. I pulled the engine and removed the lower half to access the trans and shift mechanism and all works well on the bench. Put it back together and won't shift past 2nd. Removed the detent spring and plunger and it will shift then all be it with no detent.
I had a similar issue....dumb question: is the shift pedal and linkage rod properly adjust? If it's not adjusted properly, the linkage collar on the shifter shaft will contact the front sprocket cover, not allowing the appropriate range of travel to internally shift the gears.

When I replaced my front sprocket to a 15T, I didn't pay attention to this. Jumped on bike and ripped done the street, only to find that I couldn't shift to 3rd. Went back and readjusted, good.