View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #10
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): '97 Ninjette, '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
With people using gas savings as a prime motivator to buy a 30k prius, Its a much less foolish mistake, and quite a fun one at that to buy a ninjette "for the gas savings" than an ugly appliance like hybrid.
That one, I shouldn't even get started on. The Prius is so cost ineffective that it almost doesn't justify it's own smug factor However, I could soapbox on that one for a long time, and you aren't going to change the minds of the true believers. I have long believed that Priuses (Prii?) are fantastic warning labels - Not all, but a good majority of their drivers are total morons. Makes it easier to figure out who to dodge on the freeways

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
I am actually starting to consider purchasing the honda fit a few months down the line instead of buying another motorcycle (both intended to keep for years) because of your post. I just worry about peak oil ,when the price of oil will sky rocket and wonder when gasoline powered will become obsolete.
Well, I hope you wouldn't make any real choices based on my post, but use it as a starting point to do the analysis yourself. The gist of the post was that you need to factor in a lot more than your gas bill for a true cost analysis. A lot of us (evidently not all) have found that at that point, it's hard to justify a moto on a cost basis.

Because gas is such a continuous, and obvious expense, people tend to weight it higher in the overall cost of their experience. When you put the numbers down on paper, you find that gas savings is only a part (often a small part) of the equation. This was evidenced by the high price of gas last year, when people were dumping their cars and screaming about gas prices. Unless you were truly living on the border of your budget, the change in gas prices was pretty insignificant compared to, for example, the monthly payment on a decent car, or your morning *$ obsession. As far as full obsoletion of gas - the moto's not going to help you there. You can "suck", "squish", and "blow" all you want but without the "bang" part of the cycle, you're not going to move very far

The Honda fit is a great car. A lot of fun to toss around in the canyons (if you're a canyon carver in your car as well as your bike), and a surprisingly roomy and agile car. Can't see you going wrong with that, but it's not going to move the soul like a motorcycle

-Kyle