View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM   #23
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

the msrp on a chevy aveo (suzuki swift) is 12k new

Went on Cars.com and found a 2005 chevy aveo with 160K miles for 2800. Kbb said this car was worth roughly 3k at private party Do you know what maintenance is needed with a car with that many miles?

Here it is
replace engine oil every 3k, Tire rotation, Air filter replacement, spark plug replacement, cooling system service, EVAP system service, PCV system service, Timing belt inspection, Brake and clutch fluid change, Spark plug wire replacement, Timing belt replacement if needed (along with the water pump and tensioner), Evap system Solenoid valve replacement, Fuel filter replacement

Any leaky gaskets, or broken motor mounts. Checking the charging system and making sure it doesn't leave you stranded. Lubing up the entire car, and since this car is an automatic.....hoping that the transmission isn't slipping or low on fluid

If you can buy a car and not do any maintenance on it off the bat and prey nothing goes wrong..you are waiting for a world of hurt.

Our bikes cost 500 to 2 thousand dollars for something above a year 2000 model with less than 10k miles. what maintenance are we looking at?

oil change, valve adjustment, carb clean and sync, lubing and adjusting the chain, replace the tires if needed, clean the air filter, spark plugs...

How do you add it up for initial cost? I'm still in the hole a lot less than I would be in that car. AND! I wouldn't even buy this car! Its a POS and no carpool nor lane sharing!

Now, you say to yourself, well what if you need to go to the grocery store?
That's a good question. I can pretty much get all I need at the grocery store to fit into my tank bag and back pack. (I'm a single guy)

I can literally fit 2-12 packs of soda in my back pack and 4-boxes of nestle drumstick cone boxes into my tank bag.

Getting a bike helps you think about what you NEED to get versus what you WANT at the grocery store.

For friends potlucks, I buy booze or cookies/brownies, bagels, chips, ice cream, marinated pork, beef, chicken (triple bag these).

If you got a wife and kid! get a car! you NEED it unless you live walking distance from everywhere like I could possibly not NEED a car but because I live too far from the hospital, a car is practical for doctors visit for my imaginary sons and daughters.