View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM   #170
kevins_garage
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2007 Aprilia SR50R scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
+/- 1000 rpm may be a little much, agreed. But with the speedos varying from 2% high to 11% high based on what people have reported on this board, that alone means that coming up with an absolute baseline won't be accurate enough to matter, even if the tach variabilty is reasonably low. (Just as you said. )
Keep in mind the speedo variability from bike to bike has no bearing on this issue. If my bike indicates 6000rpm at 50mph in 6th gear and yours 6000rpm at 55mph in 6th gear when cold, once the problem starts the tach will be the variable, not the speed. My speedo should still read 50 mph in 6th gear, but my tach will no longer read 6000rpm when my bike is hot. Yours should still read 55mph in 6th gear, but your tach will no longer read 6000rpm when your bike is hot.

There is no reason to worry about any comparisons of any kind from one bike to another bike or trying to identify a single baseline for everyone - every bike will have it's own baseline - just pick a speed and pick a gear when cold and watch your tach, then when the bike gets hot, maintain the same speed in the same gear and see what your tach indicates. If the tach indicates a different rpm when hot, or the tach needle flutters/bounces, or you get any kind of power loss, you probably have a CDI issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
I guess ifyou have cdi issue, the only way is to have the cdi swapped out and hopefully you'll end up with a good one like the one I recently replaced...or go aftermarket one ($400)
If anyone in the US has the problem, please file a complaint with NHTSA online or by mail so they are aware of the problem. If they get enough complaints, it is possible they will open an investigation on this. Owners shouldn't have to pay out of pocket to fix this problem. Canada has their own version of NHTSA, I believe Transport Canada - not sure on other countries.

I put up a thread at kawiforums or e-mail me at kevins_garage@yahoo.com and I can send you a copy of the complaint form that you can print and mail - just heve to fill in your owner and bike info.

Based on what I've seen and read, I would say that the majority of owners have this problem - many just may not know it yet.
kevins_garage is offline   Reply With Quote